The Consumer Federation of California currently has one opening.
Non-profit consumer rights organization has an opening for an experienced Regulatory Attorney to participate in rate cases and regulatory proceedings before the California Public Utilities Commission and the California Department of Insurance representing utility ratepayers and insurance policyholders. The position is based in San Francisco.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring telecommunications, electric, gas, water and other utility proceedings at the California Public Utilities Commission, attending CPUC meetings and workshops, and analyzing the impacts of proposed rulemaking or rate setting cases on residential consumers;
- Screening insurance rate filings subject to Proposition 103 at the Department of Insurance, submitting filings for intervention to actuary for further review, and analyzing potential intervention outcomes;
- Intervening in CPUC and CDI proceedings, preparing and filing briefs and other legal documents related to these cases, participating in case workshops, hearings and appeals;
- Consulting with other consumer advocacy organizations that intervene in CPUC and CDI proceedings to minimize duplication of activity;
- Researching possible violations of utility and insurance regulation, interviewing witnesses, preparing enforcement petitions, motions, conducting document review and deposing witnesses and representing CFC in settlement discussions, hearings and appeals; and
- Keeping meticulous work records and time sheets and submitting requests for intervenor compensation to regulatory agencies.
Qualifications: JD or equivalent degree from accredited law school. Must be licensed to practice law in California. Applicants must have a minimum of two years relevant experience practicing law before the California Public Utilities Commission, California Department of Insurance or equivalent regulatory agencies in other states. Valid drivers’ license. Solid work history. Knowledge of California utility and insurance law and regulations. Ability to initiate cases and participate fully in proceedings with little supervision. Experience working in a team with other attorneys and experts is highly desirable.
Consumer Federation of California
1107 9th Street, Suite 625
Sacramento, CA 95814
Or send these materials to email@example.com, using Word, PDF or text format. Do not send WordPerfect documents. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.