The Consumer Federation of California currently has one opening.
Executive Director, Consumer Federation of California
The non-profit Consumer Federation of California is a leading advocate for consumer rights. CFC has enacted laws that protect millions of Californians from abusive corporate behavior and has enforced regulations that have saved consumers hundreds of millions of dollars. The CFC sponsors the Consumer Federation of California Foundation, which is an education, research and advocacy charitable non-profit organization.
The CFC is seeking a Sacramento-based Executive Director to lead our legislative campaigns in Sacramento and to provide overall management of the organization. This is a position for a seasoned professional with a strong, multi-year history of direct hands-on work on multiple pieces of legislation. The Executive Director reports to the President of the CFC, and through the President, to the CFC Officers and Policy Board. The President shall be an employee of the CFC for a transition period during which the Executive Director becomes familiar with the operations of the organization.
Working with the CFC’s Legislative Director, lead all phases of our legislative advocacy. Duties include:
- Drafting, reviewing, analyzing and tracking bills at the state capitol.
- Researching current laws, past legislative history, relevant court decisions and recent developments in the news affecting various bills.
- Preparing support or opposition letters on bills.
- Meeting with legislators and legislative staff.
- Responding to requests for support from other organizations and lawmakers.
- Coalition building to seek support from other organizations for CFC’s positions on bills.
- Meeting with advocates that support or oppose CFC’s position on bills.
- Presenting testimony and preparing testimony for other CFC advocates to present at legislative committee hearings.
- Drafting articles, press releases, and website and social media posts.
- Responding to inquiries from news media.
- Preparing legislative updates for CFC Board.
- Registering as a lobbyist, tracking hours and preparing lobbying activity reports required under California law.
The Executive Director will provide overall management of the CFC. Duties include:
- Developing and managing budgets.
- Overseeing work of professional contractors.
- Keeping Officers and Board members informed of activities and seeking their advice and approval as necessary.
- Developing memberships and other funding sources, including grant proposals.
- Ensuring that bookkeeping functions are executed properly.
- Researching various issues and keeping on top of developments in consumer issues.
- Drafting articles for website and other publications.
- Participating in social media campaigns.
- Monitoring legal compliance with employment, accounting and lobbying requirements.
- Working with allies to build coalitions around campaigns.
- Must reside in or relocate to the Sacramento area.
- Minimum of 4 years of direct hands-on legislative experience and a thorough understanding of the California legislative process. We will consider applicants with comparable experience at another state capitol or at the US Capitol.
- Minimum requirement of Bachelor’s Degree. Law Degree or Master’s Degree in public policy or related field preferred.
- Non-profit management, or political or community organizing campaign management experience is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of consumer laws and regulations is desirable.
- Successful record of directing advocacy campaigns.
- Progressive values and demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking and interacting with elected officials, agency executives, news reporters, community leaders and members of the public.
- Ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple tasks and projects.
- Experience working with governing boards.
- Mature judgment, tact, diplomacy, discretion, and keen understanding of confidentiality.
- Confidence and perseverance in adversarial proceedings.
- Accuracy in maintaining complete records and documentation.
- Proficiency with office technology including word processing, Excel, email, social media and other online platforms.
- Skilled in building coalitions and partnerships.
- Commitment to advancing diversity in workplace and working with diverse alliances.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Mandarin is desirable.
This is a full time, exempt position based in Sacramento. Occasional travel is required. Salary range $110,000 – $120,000 depending on experience, plus benefits.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com, or mail to: Consumer Federation of California, 1153 Chess Drive, Suite 204, Foster City, CA 94404.
Application deadline: January 15, 2020