CFC Education Foundation Privacy Protection Consumer Guide
The Consumer Federation of California Education Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing consumer rights through education and research. The CFC Education Foundation is sponsored by the Consumer Federation of California.
Your Medical Privacy Rights
Your medical record serves as the central repository for planning care and documenting communication between you, your health care provider, and other professionals contributing to your care. Doctor-patient confidentiality protects what is discussed between you and your physician, but does not ensure the privacy of the patient’s medical records.
What Should I Know About Privacy Policies?
- Protecting Your Child’s Online Privacy
- Teens’ Online Privacy
- Is Your Computer Secure?
- Recent Online Privacy Legislation In California
- Frequently Asked Questions About Online Privacy
Smartphones and tablet devices are handy, but they pose unparalleled privacy issues, storing sensitive user information such as call logs, text messages and even our whereabouts. And some developers in the thriving app industry worry more about releasing the newest product than about the privacy issues that their products may cause.
In 2013, there were 13.1 million cases of identity theft. That’s a new victim every two seconds. Learn more about the methods fraudsters use to obtain your personal information, how to protect yourself, and what to do if you’ve been hit.
- Prosecuting Identity Theft
- Identity Theft Resources
- Sample Letter To New Creditor
- Sample Letter To Existing Creditors
- Sample Letter To Credit Bureaus
Online Privacy Protection
Online privacy comes from knowing how to shield your activity on the Web from outside predators who would use your personal information for financial gain. Stopping them takes awareness and effort. The solution lies in taking a multilevel approach of preventing, detecting and responding effectively to a variety of cyber attacks.
Related news and commentary from CFC:
- CFC-Sponsored Ban Against Computer Spyware Signed Into Law (September 2014)
- SB 383: Battle For Privacy In Online Purchases Falters After 2-Year Fight (August 2014)
- Bill Would Restore Online Privacy (January 2014)
- Mixed Results On Privacy Legislation (2013)
Your Cell Phone Records Are for Sale
Right now, strangers can buy a list of all your cell phone calls. And we mean anyone! Criminals, stalkers, suspicious spouses, nosy neighbors, prying employers, private investigators, your co-workers – anyone with a few extra bucks to spend! With that in mind, here are:
- 10 Steps You Could Take To Protect Your Cell Phone Calling Records Now
- Steps Telephone Companies Could Take To Protect You
California’s Low-Cost Auto Insurance Program Could Help You!
This California Department of Insurance Web page [outside source] includes resources about California’s Low Cost Auto Insurance Program.
Reverse Mortgage: Is It The Right Choice For You And Your Family?
This CFC Education Foundation consumer information brochure [PDF] offers a look at reverse mortgages.